Saturday, May 5, 2012

Anxieties


As Cinco de Mayo approaches I can’t help but worry that our budding garden shall be “deflowered”. I keep thinking of the garden being assaulted by bodily fluids and/or alcoholic beverages. Is this how a parent worries for their pubescent children? If so, I think I (and the rest of my class) is getting a crash course in parental anxieties. I find myself wondering how the garden is faring, and worrying about its chance of survival due to the weird and random weather fluctuations we have been experiencing recently. I wonder whether our plants feel cold, or whether I should have ‘bundled’ them up better. I worry that they aren’t drinking enough water or taking their vitamins. My mind constantly drifts back to these thoughts, and in the wee hours of the morning (when I hardly make any sense) I find myself thinking of odd structures made up of umbrellas and flannel shirts to provide a shelter for our plants. I wonder whether the sunflowers shall grow up and severely limit the amount of sunlight the other plants shall get.
I also worry about the “company” our garden keeps, considering its neighbor is a student owned house. More specifically, it is a ECE house, also known as “Party House”.  Shall our garden remain untouched? I sure hope so. 

1 comment: