Sunday, May 6, 2012

Farming: A carreer path I will never take


I don't think I could ever be a farmer. Have my whole life salary based on the uncertainty of whether or not you will have a crop. You spend your days planting something as small and fragile as a seed, place it into the ground and hope that it will make it through the uncertainty of weather patterns so it will grow and you can put food on your own table. I know I would be a nervous wreck just waiting for the seeds to sprout out of the ground. At least if you raised an orchard of trees, you can tell if the tree is alive or dead. Of course, then you get pesky birds that can eat the fruit off of your trees. Thinking about this comes around to the point that do farmers spray their crops with pesticides, not because they want to fulfill societies demand of always having perfect vegetables or fruit. But rather, to have that back up of; if I spray this then I will definitely have a sustainable crop and can feed my family at the end of the day. I don’t think it is survival of the fittest it’s just that if you have the measures to obtain security you are going to take them. Again, uncertainty. Just plant the crops and hope to some higher being that they will grow cannot be a thing for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment