Saturday, May 5, 2012

Courtney's Text Message


As I slowly made my way out of bed this afternoon, my phone gave a customized ‘bing’ indicating that I had a text message from “This Is Not Called Lotto’s Lot.” It was Courtney saying that, “Our plants don’t look so good.” My heart rate increased and I felt a faint, rhythmic thud in my ears due to my nerves. I had visions of the most absurd scenarios, such as a car driving straight into our garden…However, Sara soon assuaged my worries by mentioning how they probably just needed some sunlight to perk right up, and Katie mentioned how they probably weren’t dry anymore due to the thunderstorms last night.
I found myself heading to the garden the moment I was free around six o’clock this evening. Once nearing the garden my nerves began to settle as I saw our tomato plants standing strong in bed seven. Our basil plant, however, still looks a little peaky. Oh well, nothing that cannot be fixed.

I felt somewhat proud, as my boyfriend tagged along to see “THE garden” that I had been raving about since before classes had even ended. He looked at our two plots and was somewhat shocked upon seeing them, as it truly put everything in perspective and made the idea of the garden ‘real’ and not some indulgent joke.

After all of this, this garden makes me feel as if I truly am learning something. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad the plants looked better today! I was worried on Friday.

    ReplyDelete