Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finally, a garden!! (Thursday, April 26, later)


Thursday, April 26 (later)

Over the course of the past week, I have been telling anyone and everyone that I had a garden.  Never mind that my “garden” was not just mine, a small plot of land and at the time was just dirt and rye grass. However, today that all changed. Today, we actually can say that we have a garden. After a wonderful lunch at Horns, a few of us ventured to our plot of land to actually make progress and put the plants that Sara had brought along into the ground.  Coincidentally, there were 8 plants that needed to be planted and there were 8 planters, so we each got to claim a plant and put it into the ground.  The plant I chose was a Boxcar Willie Tomato, and named Willie.

I now understand why gardeners want to make sure it is the best possible conditions when planting. I can only imagine how I would feel, should I return to this garden in a few weeks and there is nothing there. Nothing to show for all of our planning and planting and labor. There is always the option to replant, but I would still feel some sense of failure.

I brought my roommates along with me to see our progress. Despite the cold and chilly air, they were excited to come along and see what I have been talking about when describing this project. (I think the excitement had more to do with a trip to Dunkin Donuts, but who is to tell?) I welcomed the company and I think I impressed my friends with words like “compost” and explanations of our gardening process.  Little do they know how much of a complete novice I am. I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment