Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sowing Our Seeds


Waking up I saw that I had several text messages from “This Is Not Called Lotto’s Lot”, and I felt that familiar feeling of anticipation as I prepared for whatever mission we were given to take care of the garden.
We were about to plant our seeds!
As the clock neared four, I felt anxious to get started and plant our babies. As I neared the garden, I could hear the voices of my fellow gardeners and picked up my pace so I could help sow our seeds. However, I couldn’t get to the garden until half past four. After the seeds were already tucked in small, dark pods within the earth. I felt my heart sink and, as crazy as it seems, an unshakable sense of betrayal on my part. I felt that heavy despondence that a parent must feel when disappointing their small child. We were dismissed about ten minutes after my arrival, and I swore I would somehow make this up to the garden as melodramatic as it may be.
Walking up the steep incline of Montclair, I couldn’t help but wonder how much I had dropped the ball on my “parenting” duties but also that of my obligation to my group. As I reached the corner of West Eighth Street and Montclair, I realized that perhaps I was overreacting just a tad and that this wasn’t the end of the world, and that my answer was to just do better and get back to the garden at the earliest opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment