Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gardening 101


Since this is my last blog post, I figured I would do the classic sentimental look-back on the garden. (Sorry for the following corny lines.) What first started out as a simple class proposal and me signing up because I have had gardening experience before and it was something different than the normal paper. Turned into something that I talk about all the time with my teammates and friends and something that I am excited about doing while I am here at Lehigh this summer. In my previous paper I wrote about my experiences of working in a local, fresh fruit market in California. But now I feel like I have the experience of what it takes to begin a garden. The uncertainty, the dirt underneath the fingernails, the patience of reading the planting instructions on the back of the seed packet. I’m looking forward to that first tomato, and the marigolds that Kim and I planted rising up out of the ground and blooming (hopefully.) I also want the sun to come up and the cloud cover to be removed so our plants can soak up some nice sunshine. But alas, I can’t control the weather or if the plants will survive. Which is a very hard thing for a control freak like me. So I am glad that my garden days are not coming to a close and I am looking forward to spending my days escaping Lehigh two blocks away and visiting the garden to collect our veggies and say hi to the growing plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment