Thursday, May 3, 2012

Anxious (Thursday, April 26)


Thursday, April 26

To plant or not to plant, that is the question. The weather has not been in our garden’s favor as of recently. The dilemma is that we do not want to plant too early and submit our young and fragile plants to the cold air of the night, but we also do not want to keep putting off planting and run out of time before everyone leaves for break.  Sink or swim?

I am all for planting. I am too impatient; I want to get this garden started as soon as possible. I have this vision of a sunny day, me wearing gardening gloves and an obnoxiously large and floppy hat. I am picking tomatoes straight from the plant and adding it to my already overflowing basket of fresh produce. I get up, brush off my knees, and head home where I will make a delicious meal from all of my home grown ingredients.  I wonder if we will grow enough to get a booth at a farmer’s market? From here, I am sure I will become best friends with all the other people there. We will share a bond over growing our own food, and I will be invited to my new friends’ homes.  What can I say, I am a romantic.

In all seriousness, gardening takes a lot more planning than I originally anticipated.  This talk about temperatures, compost, and the beds needing to be turned…who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment