Saturday, May 5, 2012

Quiet Escape


Since starting this garden, I have found myself wandering over to Carlton more often whether it be to weed our lots or to simply sit there and admire the newly planted tomato, basil, and pepper plants. I never thought that this garden, located so close to “Sketchlehem”, would offer such a haven from the chaos and constant buzz of day-to-day life. I have started making almost daily trips to just merely sit in our garden and sort out the crazy tangle of thoughts, anxieties, concerns, and half-formed ideas that are constantly at the forefront of my mind. I have come here to get away from the crazy drama that normally and oftentimes ensues with kids our age thanks to the newfound independence found at college and a steady stream of alcohol. Once stepping through the fence gate and turning off my phone, I feel as if one hundred pounds have been lifted from my shoulders. Coming here, I always realize how trivial and just plain stupid many of my “problems” are once I take a step back and look at them.  
The smell of earth, the sight of the mosaic pieces around the perimeter of the garden, and the quiet growth of our plants fill my senses and help to build the foundation of a place I am starting to see as a wonderful meditation spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment