Monday, May 7, 2012

Simply getting acquainted


April 26th, the day of our last registered class together, I visited the garden at night. A few us were talking about how it would be cold this evening, but wanted to transplant Sara’s various tomatoes, peppers, and sweet basil. The night was full of darkness, but evenly spread so that my eyes adjusted and I could still see in front of me. It was 11:00 pm. I sat down inside the garden on a planted stone and admired what was in front of me. As the vegetables and sole herb that was planted a mere 12 hours earlier were becoming newly acquainted to the soil, I too was becoming more comfortable with my work place. But, work place…is that fair to call a community garden a work place? Even since we humans have planted seed’s, we have worked the soil to reap the benefit of food, medicine, and various other necessities of life. But why does work now refer to a business suit, cubicle, and long hours? I hope to redefine work, call it rework, and allow people the opportunity to create a means of living that are sustainable. Not just for the human species, but all aspects of biodiversity and the natural environment.
            As the night was frigid and I began to show goose bumps, I took my jacket off and laid it over the peppers for 10 minutes, then the tomatoes and sweet basil for 10 minutes. My thoughts became confined by the cold and I couldn’t bare it much longer. When humans first reached a state of cold, we produced or hunted for clothing. When plants become cold, they retain and conserve heat. What a genius idea. Whoever thought of conserving the sun’s heat through solar panels, wasn’t thinking on a rocket science level. It’s the simple ideas that will outlive us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment