Saturday, May 5, 2012

Germination! Or Not


Patience. The capacity to accept or tolerate delay…A trait I do not possess. Since I was a toddler running around wreaking havoc and destruction, I have had the hardest time waiting even five measly minutes for anything. Since planting our seeds on April thirtieth, I have been scouring bed five for the slightest sight of a new plant unfurling from the rich soil. Each time I have gone in hopes of catching our plants germinate I have been highly disappointed. I have even resorted to using a magnifying glass and having little children walk up to the fence and skeptically ask, “Are you okay?” It was definitely not one of my brightest moments.

I have attempted singing and playing my flute in hopes of coaxing them to reach the surface. I have told them pep talks that have put all of my previous pep talks to shame. I brought down my friend’s bass guitar and strummed due to my inability to actually play the bass…

As I left the garden, absolutely annoyed, my mother called and asked me how the garden was faring. I sullenly answered, “Horribly.” My mother was shocked and continued to question me further, thinking that I had invariably killed all of the plants, and began laughing when she discovered the source of my irritation. She magically calmed me down and began to shed light on the situation and present it to me in much prettier packaging. I was told that it was not a wait for these plants to grow since they already were growing and I merely couldn’t see them yet. The seeds had already opened and were stretching their “muscles”, and were merely preparing for the big finale. Talking to my mother really enlightened me to the situation and served as a great reminder of the old saying, “Patience is a virtue.” I hope that working on this garden will help me become more patient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment