Monday, May 7, 2012

The Seed


Seeds are a funny thing. They are so tiny, so unassuming and unimpressive. They do not look like much. However, they have so much potential.  The oak started once as an acorn. Within that miniature pod, there is life. From this tiny seed, roughly the size of a pea, a large plant is going to grow.  I am fascinated by this. This plant is going to supply food and substance. I am not sure why this is so amazing to me, but it is. 

                I wonder if this is how any new parent feels when they hold their newborn child. At first, the baby is so small and so helpless.  There is no telling what type of life lies ahead for this baby. The parents’ job is to care for and nurture this tiny human being, and hope that one day they are able to give back to the world. 

                As I sit alone in our garden, these thoughts run through my head. I wonder about the seeds that we put into the ground. I imagine their outer shells cracking open in the soil, they stretch their roots like tiny limbs, twisting and moving so to grow.  Eventually, with enough water, nutrients and time, they break through the soil, ready to join the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment