Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thoughts (Saturday, April 28)


Saturday, April 28

Do plants have feelings? Do they experience happiness while soaking in the sunlight? Do they feel cold or wet when the rain pours for hours on end? There have been numerous findings of positive reaction to speech or music on the growth of plants. Do they feel pain, loneliness, neglect?  Does it hurt when they are attacked by bugs, or when their produce is plucked from their leaves? I certainly hope not. Do plants have a voice? Do they have daily conversations with their fellow bedmates, discussing plant things and we humans are just too engrossed in ourselves that we do not notice?  I tend to think they do not, however how would I know? I have never been a plant.

Assume that plants do have feelings. I wonder what it would be like to be a plant. I think I might like it. I would enjoy basking in the sunlight. I would enjoy being outdoors, swaying in the wind.  The only job I would have to do would be to fulfill my plant duties and produce my fruit. 

Then again, I would not enjoy the feeling of being rooted down, never able to move.  I would not like the bugs, the loud noises, and the constant fear of being stepped on.  What if it was too hot? Or too cold? Or did not rain enough or rained too much? Maybe being a plant would be more stressful than I imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment