Thursday, May 3, 2012

Making the Bed

Today (April 28) Emily, Sara, and I met at the garden to see what we could do to prepare the beds for our plants. Once I got there I was amazed to see our tomatoes in Bed 7 still standing strong after the random cold spells Bethlehem has been experiencing. Since I have never gardened before, I was more than thrilled to do anything to help out so Sara quickly pointed to a bucket and set us off to get compost for Bed 5. As Emily and I marched off to a formidable pile of compost, we started to wonder how this would work considering we had no shovel or any other tool to make our lives just a tad simpler. Upon reaching the compost we laid the bucket in a slight dip near the base and proceeded to use our hands to fill it, similar to dogs crazily digging holes with frantic motions and frantic sense of giddiness. Needless to say, we soon couldn’t stop laughing as we filled the bucket and hefted it toward Bed 5 before heading back and filling it back up again.
Suddenly, a car pulled up and out stepped a blond haired woman who looked at us and temporarily gifted us with a shovel! Our excitement officially knew no bounds as we ran back to continue our mission to properly cover our soil bed with compost.
As Emily and I continued to spread the compost over the bed, we suddenly heard some voices asking us what we were up to. It turned out that our bustling activity had caught the attention of some neighborhood children who were in the playground next to garden. They slowly wandered over to the fence and continued to ask questions and they eagerly asked if they could help, so we invited them in for a ‘tour’. Soon enough they insisted on helping with that unwavering tenacity often seen in children their age (and heck, even at our age). I left the garden that day with a wonderful feeling of success, as we helped make the bed for our soon to be planted seeds and I felt as if we really can make a difference in the community one compost filled bucket at a time. 


p.s. Just warning y'all that I am about to mass post, because I had starting writing them on Word for a while and I just remembered that I never posted them. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment