Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bethlehem Compost Center


I wanted to post a little bit about my experience trying to get in contact with the Bethlehem compost center. I wanted to get in touch with someone to ask about how they handle the oil and gas that leaves garner from cars and how they deal with foreign objects in the compost like cigarette butts. Ed told me that I would have a hard time getting someone to answer these questions, but I was up for the challenge. Unfortunately, Ed was right.

I called the Bethlehem compost center on Monday, and I was determined to get our questions answered. I had a plan to ease the woman on the other end of the phone into answering these difficult questions. This plan was going smoothly. When I asked her about the contents of the compost, she answered immediately. When I asked her about costs, she had a lot say. Yet, when I asked how they deal with cigarette butts and other objects that might get in the compost, she told me I would have to talk to someone else. She took down my information, and told me that a man named Tom Marshall would call me back. I asked if I could also have his contact information, and she gave me an e-mail address.

I e-mailed Tom in a really approachable, polite manner. Needless to say, Tom has not returned my e-mail or called me back. If he does, I will update you all. Every time I call the Bethlehem compost center now, the same thing happens, and Tom is never there! I wonder why the compost center is so hesitant to answer these questions. It is not there fault that these issues occur. They clearly do nothing to deal with them because if they did these questions would have been easy for anyone to answer. Regardless, they are still providing a really commendable service, so why be ashamed?

I have posted their website and Tom’s e-mail below if anyone else wants to try. Some information that I have found interesting is that they give mulch out for free, they only accept material from Bethlehem area residents, and they’ll take anything from leaves, to smaller branches, to hedge trimmings, but they will not take grass or sod.

They are located at 1480 Schoenersville road if anyone wants to try going there with me and asking these questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment